Facebook and other social media platforms have revolutionized how we "dress for success". We used to have time to stand in front of the closet and ponder "What should I wear to the client/board/sales/speaking meeting"? Now with Facebook live streams, Instagram, Twitter, looking professional, competent and confident is a bit trickier. I'm sure you have watched videos where if you only listened to the audio you would say: "WOW! This is great stuff!" but looking at the person presenting the material you think: "Has this person ever heard of makeup or an iron for their clothes".
Being raised in Europe, I was taught from a young age to pay attention to how you look in public, meaning attractive clothes, hair styled and a touch of makeup. I believe that this has really helped me "open doors" and gave me an initial believability when I meet people.
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, people make their first impression of you, literally, in the blink of an eye, so what you wear has a huge impact on the impression you make.
Here are some suggestions for what to wear to project a professional image on your social media posts/ videos:
1. When selecting an outfit, choose one that is sleek but serious. Never show cleavage and make sure that your clothes don’t detract from the main event: you and your message that you want to communicate.
2. Avoid tight clothes and miniskirts (unless you're a supermodel and are selling haute couture products)
3. Heels are fine but their height should correlate with the skirt. Don’t wear anything too high with anything too short.
4. Remember that you want to showcase your business; you don’t want a loud flower print to distract people from listening to what you’re saying. If you're an artist or graphics person, interesting and colorful dresses and scarves can reinforce your "style".
5. Makeup: Hollywood and professional models use makeup to enhance what nature gave them so take a clue from them and use light makeup to enhance your beautiful face. Avoid heavy makeup, especially eyeliner (no Cleopatra eyes!) :-)
6. Jewelry: simple and elegant are the best so as not to detract attention. Simple stud earrings, a simple matching pendant and if your hands are showing, go easy on the bling rings.
7. Nails and polish: simple natural hues are best, avoid dark colors as they will draw attention. Avoid cat claw lengths and bling appliques as people will think that you devote too much attention to your nails instead of your work.
Remember that clothing and accessories should not be a distraction that could take the focus away from you and your message. So take a look at some of your pictures, videos, and posts and think about what clothes you will wear in the future to reinforce your image in the best possible way.
Hello and welcome to my blog. Here you will find advice and suggestions about how to automate your sales funnel and turn your traffic into leads, and leads into sales.
Click to set custom HTMLTweets by BBKConsult