With this being the Thanksgiving week here in the US, there is a tradition to reach out and help those less fortunate than ourselves. There are lots of ways to volunteer to help others during this Thanksgiving season but I would like to suggest that everyone get in the spirit by doing a simple "Random Act of Kindness" to pass along your good fortune or to "pay it forward".
What do you think? It will only take a little bit of your time or money but it WILL make a huge impact on someone.
Are you up for it? If everyone on Facebook in the US does one single, small act of kindness to pay their good fortune forward, it will be the most memorable Thanksgiving imaginable!
I'm suggesting that you do some small thing to help others without being asked (well, except for this suggestion) as a way of becoming more aware of those around us that are less fortunate than we are.
Here are a few ideas for small, random acts of kindness that you might consider doing in the next few days:
- Pay for someone else's coffee when you get your blast of caffeine
- Pay for part or all of someone's groceries (maybe buy the turkey)
- Spend time with an elderly person who is all alone, there is a great organization where you can volunteer to help, it's http://friendsforlife.org/volunteer/
- Volunteer to help serve Thanksgiving dinner, your local food bank can always use help. https://foodbank.org/
- If you want to make a regular habit of helping, check out Meals on Wheels that delivers wholesome meals to those in need. It doesn’t take much time but it is so appreciated. Here is the link for my local chapter https://mealsonwheelswny.org/ If you google Meals on Wheels, it should bring you to your local chapter.
There are lots of other ideas on how to give thanks by helping others.
Here is my idea for contribution: I am planning to go to a nursing home and spend some time with some elderly people who are all alone on this Thanksgiving. How about you?