What is Instagram Engagement?
Instagram engagement is the amount of Likes, comments, views, shares, saves, swipe ups and DMs on an individual Instagram post or all Instagram posts during an established period of time. It's the social involvement of the community with your posts.
With the new changes of the Instagram Algorithm, also come changes about how we understand what is actually included, what actually mean Instagram engagement. It's no longer just likes and comments on your posts, but about the engagement of your entire account.
Why Instagram Engagement is so important?
Total engagement gives you insight into how active your audience is and how well your Instagram strategy is working.
How to increase your engagement on Instagram?
Since the previous Instagram algorithm, more and more people are looking into bots to increase their engagement. Instagram recently went back to the old algorithm where your posts will be seen from more viewers which will increase the engagement on them.
Here are some ideas on how to actually increase your Instagram engagement:
1. Use call-to-action in every single post and Story that you post
A call-to-action is the text you’ll add in your posts that tell people what you’d like them to do next. here are few ideas for CTA:
Call-to-action gives you the chance to lead viewers off your Instagram account and send them to your website which will help you build your mail list or you can ask them questions to build a better profile of your ideal client.
What are the Call-to-actions you are using in your Instagram posts and Stories?
2. Post at the best time
Instagram Insights gives you information about the best time for you to post based on your audience. That's one reason why you should shift to a Business Instagram account.
Here is how to check the Insights for the best time for you to post:
1. Open your Instagram account
2. Click on the Insights indicator on the top right corner (the 4 vertical lines right next to the clock icon)
3. Click on Audience
4. Scroll down to Followers and you will see the best time for you to post by Hours and by Days
Now that you know exactly to post so you get the best visibility, there is more work to be done. The first 10 minutes since you publish your post are the most important when it comes to counting engagement. What should you do? Watch your Likes and engage with the accounts that Liked your post. Go to their account Like the last 3 of their posts and leave a meaningful comment on their last post. That is how you turn your Likes into followers.
3. Host a Giveaway or a Contest
Instagram loop giveaways are a great way to increase engagement on your posts and of course get more followers.
See if you can find some related accounts to collaborate with. You don't have to be competitors but rather businesses that have an audience with similar interests. For example, I teach entrepreneurs how to use Instagram for business. A good fit for me for businesses to collaborate with are graphic designers, web developers, business coaches, etc.
Here are some examples for businesses collaborations:
1. If you are a yoga trainer, you may want to consider collaboration with health and wellness coach, nutrition specialist, crystal shop, yoga clothing, etc.
2. If you are a garden center, you can collaborate with some local chefs (for some garden to table experience), a chiropractor (to teach your customers how to save their back while gardening), a brand that sells particular garden equipment, etc.
3. If you are an artist, a painter, you may choose to collaborate with a local art supply store or directly connect with the art supply brands, or a local frames shop.
The possibilities are endless.
Ready to increase your Instagram Engagement in 2018?
I have a solution for you - An Engagement Guide with 15 ideas for Instagram Engagement. Click the button if you want to download it.