With this being the Thanksgiving week here in the US, there is a tradition to reach out and help those less fortunate than ourselves. There are lots of ways to volunteer to help others during this Thanksgiving season but I would like to suggest that everyone get in the spirit by doing a simple "Random Act of Kindness" to pass along your good fortune or to "pay it forward".
What do you think? It will only take a little bit of your time or money but it WILL make a huge impact on someone.
Are you up for it? If everyone on Facebook in the US does one single, small act of kindness to pay their good fortune forward, it will be the most memorable Thanksgiving imaginable!
I'm suggesting that you do some small thing to help others without being asked (well, except for this suggestion) as a way of becoming more aware of those around us that are less fortunate than we are.
Here are a few ideas for small, random acts of kindness that you might consider doing in the next few days:
- Pay for someone else's coffee when you get your blast of caffeine
- Pay for part or all of someone's groceries (maybe buy the turkey)
- Spend time with an elderly person who is all alone, there is a great organization where you can volunteer to help, it's http://friendsforlife.org/volunteer/
- Volunteer to help serve Thanksgiving dinner, your local food bank can always use help. https://foodbank.org/
- If you want to make a regular habit of helping, check out Meals on Wheels that delivers wholesome meals to those in need. It doesn’t take much time but it is so appreciated. Here is the link for my local chapter https://mealsonwheelswny.org/ If you google Meals on Wheels, it should bring you to your local chapter.
There are lots of other ideas on how to give thanks by helping others.
Here is my idea for contribution: I am planning to go to a nursing home and spend some time with some elderly people who are all alone on this Thanksgiving. How about you?
Here are 4 tips:
Tip #1: Share your story in a LIKABLE way
The problem for most of us when we have to introduce ourselves is, what exactly should we say? First of all, share your excitement of being in this group. Raise the energy. Help people feel comfortable and excited to be learning from a credible expert like you. Share your professional background and include 1-2 non-professional interests.
For example, whenever I introduce myself in a new FB Group, I address the community and the owner of the group by thanking them I am accepted in their group. I then deliver a 3-5 sentences that tell my story, what problems do I solve and what is my background. At the end, I give few tips that can bring value to the group and I finish with something interesting about me.
Tip #2: Make it MEMORABLE
Although your introduction is about establishing credibility and likability, you should try to make it being memorable. This means, share unique information about yourself that will help the others remember who you are and also to feel like you’ve got something in common with the community in the group. In other words, put your personal touch :-) Choose something that is very unique to you.
Tip #3: Have some fun
A way to make your introduction a little bit more comfortable is to have some fun with it. The bottom line is that introductions are very important if you want to make an impression. Our relational society thrives on knowing each other in a small community like a FB group.
Tip #4: What to do after you introduce yourself
• Get to know the people in the group - unless the group has a streaked rule not to PM members of the group, initiate some conversations. After all, you joined this group for a reason, didn’t you?
• Ask questions - if that is a group where your ideal customer lives, you should try to figure out how you can provide more value to the group.
• Don't comment on every single little thing - you know how annoying it is when somebody tags you in a group photo, for example, and everybody makes a comment. You will get outrageous number of notifications from FB.
• Don't friend everybody in the group - you thought you found the perfect group to pitch your services or products and you go on a mission to friend every single person in that group? That's a wrong approach. Your best bet is to first provide value to the group, then see if somebody is interested in your services.
I hope this provided some guidelines for the ones who are still hesitating to introduce themselves in the groups they joined. I have a simple way to deal with that. I ask myself: "What's the worst that could happen?" And I go forward :-)
Introductions can cause quite a bit of anxiety. Whether you're a coach or sell a specific product, learn how to craft your message so you can feel comfortable introducing yourself in a new FB group?
Day 2 of my "30-Day movie marathon"
A lot of people are asking me about how they can use FB Groups to sell their products or services.
So today I decided to bring a little bit more clarity between FB Biz page and FB group.
In general, if your Facebook strategy is quite strongly commercial – for example, you want to use it to sell directly, make special offers, reach out to a targeted audience quickly – then a Facebook Page will likely be the right choice.
On the other hand, if your product or service would benefit from a much “softer” approach, and you’re in a very niche area, then a Facebook Group might work better for you. For example, let’s say you’re selling handmade gold and sterling silver jewelry with diamonds. You can create a public or closed Facebook Group inviting people who are your ideal customer - women who love your style of jewelry and men who are shopping your style of jewelry for their loved ones. Run a poll of potential pain points that your members will be interested to discuss. Stream Live FB video every week on these themes. Offer to your members to PM you if they may need your help. And start with selling low-cost products or classes (that is if you are teaching) once a month.
My next video will be about how you can structure your FB Group.
Please share what your experience had been with your FB Business page and if you've already made one step further to create your FB Group, what challenges you face in your FB Group.
Hello and welcome to my blog. I have a passion for educating others on how to market as beautifully as possible on Instagram.