This concept comes from the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto who emphasized that 20% of the population controls the majority of the wealth. In marketing the 80/20 Rule translates a bit differently. About 20% of your strategy should produce 80% of the results. In other words, only about 20% of your content should directly promote your business. The other 80% should be informational, educational or entertaining posts that you think your audience will love. In their eyes, you are giving them something relevant and useful while occasionally promoting your business, something they’ll be able to see past. Followers can generally see past self-promotion if it’s offset by something they find useful and if they are the appropriate target audience for the product or service you plan to offer. What you don’t want to do is sound too sales-ey too often.
Here is a simple example with Cath Shaw's business called Bees on a bicycle - an urban garden center and a shop in the heart of Chattanooga, TN:
So if you want to grab – and hold – your audience's attention, your social media content has to cut through the chatter and give them a compelling reason to stick around.
And if you wonder what content you should post on your social media accounts, I have a freebie for you: